Saturday, June 10, 2017



"Why I cried through the fight scenes in Wonder Woman"
By Meredith Woerner
The Los Angeles Times
June 5, 2017

...

And then came No Man's Land.

Having left her people to help end World War I, Diana travels with Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) to the battlefront in France. Along the way, she is told "no" by just about every man in Europe, including Steve. "No, you cannot go into the war room; no, you can't fight Ares; no, you can't carry your sword on the street." Deep in the trenches, she learns that a nearby village is caught in the crossfire. She wants to help, and is once again told "no."

But Diana has had enough. When Steve tells her that they can't save everyone in this war because "it's not what we're here to do," she agrees.

"You're right," she says. "But it's what I am going to do."

Pulling off her disguise to reveal her true Wonder Woman self, she climbs a ladder and walks solemnly into No Man's Land. Deflecting bullets with her bracelets, leaning into machine gun fire with her shield, she marches forward spurring the men to follow her. Wonder Woman takes the town.

It was tremendous.

I felt like I was discovering something I didn't even know I had always wanted. A need that I had boxed up and buried deep after three movies of Iron Man punching bad guys in the face, three more movies of Captain America punching bad guys in the face, a movie about Superman and Batman punching each other in the face and then "Suicide Squad."

Witnessing a woman hold the field, and the camera, for that long blew open an arguably monotonous genre. We didn't need a computer-generated tree or a sassy raccoon to change the superhero game; what we needed was a woman.

Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins wasn't too surprised when I described my tearful reaction. "I've heard that a lot," she said.

And sure enough, as Wonder Woman blazed through its opening weekend, the Internet was flooded with tales of tears. "Wept through every fight scene in Wonder Woman AMA," tweeted Shani O. Hilton (head of U.S. news for BuzzFeed News). "I just thought about the No Man's Land sequence & started crying again," writer and director Julia Hart said online.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment