The "Bex Eagle" in Pershing Park in Washington, D.C.
A trash dump for most of the city's history, this area was named Pershing Square in April 1957.
In November 1963, the President's Council on Pennsylvania Avenue proposed turning the park into a memorial to General John Pershing. Designs for a statue and memorial were finalized in the 1970s, and Pershing Park constructed simultaneously with nearby Freedom Plaza from 1979 to 1981. Pershing Park formally opened to the public on May 14, 1981.
In the late 1970s, Brian Bex of the American Communications Network commissioned a sculpture of a bald eagle from Lorenzo Ghiglieri, a sculptor living in Wilsonville, Oregon -- and considered one of the finest bronze sculptors in the U.S. Bex then donated it to the National Wildlife Federation.
In 1982, National Wildlife Federation donated the sculpture to the park to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the law naming the bald eagle the national symbol of the United States.