Saturday, April 16, 2016

I've been hunting for a job, and I've been writing a lot, and that has interrupted my blogging some.

I've been writing an article about Tom M. Girdler, the virulently anti-union neo-fascist, but I put that on hold. Girdler had a huge role to play in the Little Steel Strike of 1937, and I just needed some time away from the research to allow some of what I'd read to sink in and get a better handle on it.

Funny how life works: I figured I'd start processing many of the photos I took last August and get them online. Many of those focused on the Justice Center, Cleveland's integrated court-jail-police complex in downtown. So I ended up writing articles about Prindle, Patrick (the architectural firm which designed part of it), about the Greater Cleveland Associated Foundation (the short-lived but immensely influential community foundation that helped build the Justice Complex and reinvigorated The Cleveland Foundation in the process), and the Glenville Shootout (the gun battle between black militants and the Cleveland Police that led to a week of riots in 1968). These were all major research jobs, and took a week or more each!

I cooked some Korean short rib stew one day, and the next spent all day improving the Wikipedia article on short ribs.

The Sewall-Belmont House in Washington, D.C., got turned into a National Monument, so I upgraded that article significantly.

Then there was some controversy about bridges falling down in Washington, D.C., and I upgraded the article on the New York Avenue Bridge over the Anacostia River.

The Hart Senate Office Building wraps around the Sewall-Belmont House. And that article was pure shittiness, so I had to improve that one, too.

Now I'm back to doing photos.....

No comments:

Post a Comment