Monday, May 26, 2014

Yesterday was the grand experiment. After having had sudden and nasty heat exhaustion two weeks ago, I went out taking photos again in the heat. My mission? Photograph the length of Independence Avenue here in the city. My physician says there's nothing wrong with me, but why did I get sudden-onset heat exhaustion like that?? It's left me a little gunshy, I guess.

I took the bus to Independence Avenue SE and 8th Street SE, started walking west. My goal was to get to Capitol Hill, hail a cab, and then go to the terminus at the Lincoln Memorial. I had hydrated well all morning, and the temperature was in the low 80s. I hadn't gone more than six blocks, and I was dying of thirst. It wasn't as if I was sweating like a pig, either. I just felt massively dry. This alarmed me, so I drank about a third of my container of water. I got to the Capitol, and drank some more. I didn't have that heart-racing feeling I had the last time, so I just walking. It's downhill (that's why they call it Capitol Hill, duh), and got to the Air & Space Museum.

By now, I was feeling tired, which is odd. I don't think I walked more than a 1.25 miles. It was also 3:30, and I'd not had lunch yet. So I stopped at the West Terrace at the museum, got something to eat, and rested a bit. I also bought and drank a whole bottle of Gatorade. After about 20 minutes, I felt better. So I kept walking. This wasn't my plan, but... I figured I felt all right, so why not keep going?

So I did. I got all the way down "old" Independence Avenue (it used to stop at 15th Street NW), past the Tidal Basin, and down to the D.C. War Memorial. I was feeling footsore and tired again, so I bought some Gatorade from a vendor and sat down for a while. I sucked down two-thirds of the bottle, and decided to walk the remaining distance to the Lincoln Memorial. I did, and got a cab home.

Three and a half miles. Three hours. I felt super-tired at the end. Funky. But not heat exhausted like last time.

So: Experiment a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment