Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Not that there is anything particularly profound about having a narrow-gauge railway in your garden, or a model of every plane flown in the Second World War. But these are hobbies indulged with great skill, time and dedication. ... There was plenty to grin at: a matchstick HMS Victory; Matilda and Sir Killalot from Robot Wars; narrow gauge trains that ran on actual steam and became dangerously hot; a Tiger 1 (mid-production, 1943) tank, in the cockpit of which detailed German officers raised binoculars and maps."

- From an article about the lost art of model-making which appeared in the Daily Telegraph newspaper in the United Kingdom.


* * * * *


When I was a kid, I used to build models. Pre-fabricated plastic models of battleships, aircraft carriers, starships, rockets, movie monsters, ocean liners, and the like. I wasn't very good at it, got no encouragement from friends or parents, and my father threw them all away when I was in college. But there were night when I would turn on the lights inside my USS Enterprise and pretend I was in space. Or run my fingers along the hull of the RMS Titanic, and imagine where the ruptures in its hull were.

Models were my dream-factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment