Monday, March 24, 2014

When I was growing up, crepe-paper decorations were a big deal.  They folded flat for easy storage, and were dirt-cheap.  Most of them were manufactured by the Beistle company in Pennsylvania, a family-owned firm whose existence went back to the start of the 20th century.

Thanksgiving, although a big holiday when I was growing up, was not a holiday that one celebrated with decorations.  Halloween, sure.  But Thanksgiving was not something a person anticipated by having decorations up for a month.  Thanksgiving was not something "celebrated" -- it was cooked.

Nonetheless, my family had a few crepe-paper decorations for Thanksgiving.  These were them.  The first was a scarecrow sitting on a pumpkin, the other was an angry-looking turkey whose body folded out into a colorful set of feathers, and the last was a scarecrow leaning against a fold-out sheaf of cornstalks with a fold-out pumpkin at his heels.

I was enthralled and entranced by these as a kid.  I guess I still am.







No comments:

Post a Comment